Quantcast

libUsb Windows XP 64-bit

Bachelier, Georges

Hi there!

We provide the libUsb-Win32 driver and DLL to our customers within our software package (Atmel – In-System Programming application). One of our customers is asking for an XP 64-bit version of libUsb. Is there anything available or planned?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Georges

Re: libUsb Windows XP 64-bit

Xiaofan Chen
On 8/30/07, Bachelier, Georges <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We provide the libUsb-Win32 driver and DLL to our customers within our
> software package (Atmel – In-System Programming application). One of our
> customers is asking for an XP 64-bit version of libUsb. Is there anything
> available or planned?

According to the forum archive, XP 64bit is  supported but not Vista 64bit.

Re: libUsb Windows XP 64-bit

Spiro Trikaliotis-8
Hello,

* On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 07:54:14PM +0800 Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> On 8/30/07, Bachelier, Georges <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > We provide the libUsb-Win32 driver and DLL to our customers within our
> > software package (Atmel – In-System Programming application). One of our
> > customers is asking for an XP 64-bit version of libUsb. Is there anything
> > available or planned?
>
> According to the forum archive, XP 64bit is  supported but not Vista 64bit.

Unless someone is willing to contribute his Verisign (or similar) key to
sign a 64 bit driver, it is unlikely that this will change soon. That
is, this holds true as long as there is no new implementation that
utilizes the built-in driver winusb.sys.

Citing Stephan in Message-Id: <[hidden email]>:

* On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 09:03:58PM +0200 Stephan Meyer wrote:

> The current version (0.1.12.1) works without any problems
> on vista-32bit but NOT on vista-64bit.
> Furture versions of the DLL will use vista's built-in winusb.sys
> driver and will therefore work on both platforms. If you're
> interrested in a pre-pre-alpha version then grab the latest sources
> from the SVN and try it out.
> http://libusb-win32.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/libusb-win32/trunk/libusb1/

So, you might want to help Stephan in getting the new version done in
order to get the Vista 64-bit version.

Regards,
   Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis                              http://opencbm.sf.net/
http://www.trikaliotis.net/                     http://www.viceteam.org/

Re: libUsb Windows XP 64-bit

Xiaofan Chen
On 8/31/07, Spiro Trikaliotis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 07:54:14PM +0800 Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> > On 8/30/07, Bachelier, Georges <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > We provide the libUsb-Win32 driver and DLL to our customers within our
> > > software package (Atmel – In-System Programming application). One of our
> > > customers is asking for an XP 64-bit version of libUsb. Is there anything
> > > available or planned?
> >
> > According to the forum archive, XP 64bit is  supported but not Vista 64bit.
>
> Unless someone is willing to contribute his Verisign (or similar) key to
> sign a 64 bit driver, it is unlikely that this will change soon. That
> is, this holds true as long as there is no new implementation that
> utilizes the built-in driver winusb.sys.

I am not an USB expert but even with winusb.sys one still needs to
provide an INF file. Does that mean the situation will be any better
unless the INF is WHQLed? I do not have Vista now.

For example, people still need to provide an inf file for CDC-ACM
device even though they use the default usbser.sys in Windows.

The safe bet is HID which does not need an inf file in most cases.

> Citing Stephan in Message-Id: <[hidden email]>:
>
> * On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 09:03:58PM +0200 Stephan Meyer wrote:
> >
> > The current version (0.1.12.1) works without any problems
> > on vista-32bit but NOT on vista-64bit.
> > Furture versions of the DLL will use vista's built-in winusb.sys
> > driver and will therefore work on both platforms. If you're
> > interrested in a pre-pre-alpha version then grab the latest sources
> > from the SVN and try it out.
> > http://libusb-win32.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/libusb-win32/trunk/libusb1/
>
> So, you might want to help Stephan in getting the new version done in
> order to get the Vista 64-bit version.

I would like to help but I do not know much about programming. I
can certainly help for testing. I've tested the HID backend and
it is only partially working. Not so sure anout the WinUSB
backend since I am still learning how to use WinUSB. There
are very few WinUSB examples on the web. For example, I am
having problems with WinUSB here.
http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=264046
Now I have an WinUSB host example in Visual C++ 2005
Express so I am learning how to use it.

Hopefully some other person will help Stephan to get the HID
and WinUSB backend to work. That would be really nice.

Regards,
Xiaofan