Quantcast

NUT ON OSX 10.5

bluebird support

Good day

I am trying to use NUT (Network UPS Tools) to talk to a USB UPS on OS X (Leopard).   NUT uses libusb for its USB support.

When running upsdrvctl, the following error is displayed:

zeus:nut root# bin/upsdrvctl start

Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.4.1

Network UPS Tools - Megatec protocol driver 1.6 (2.4.1)

Serial-over-USB transport layer 0.10

Can't claim USB device [0001:0000]: usb_claim_interface: couldn't claim interface

Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

After asking about this on the NUT mailing list I have tried creating a dummy kext to prevent OS X from claiming the device.  The Info.plist file I used is attached and is based on the one used by the apcupsd project (Info-apcupsd.plist).  The vendor and product IDs match what I get from lsusb on Linux and so do the bConfigurationValue and bInterfaceNumber, but it appears to have no effect and OS X still claims the device.  I also tried modifying the Info.plist file based on others I found online (Info.plist), but that did not help either.

I’ve checked the plist file for syntax errors using “plutil –lint” and also checked that kextload is happy with the dummy kext (using “kextload –n –t /Library/Extensions/NUTDummy.kext”.

Should this dummy kext work?  Is the Info.plist file correct?  Or is there some other way to get OS X not to grab the device so that libusb can access it?

Thanks in advance.

--

Kind Regards

Ricardo

Bluebird Support

Email: [hidden email]

Telephone: 0861 629 329

Website: www.intelms.com

Info.plist (1K) Download Attachment
Info-apcupsd.plist (1K) Download Attachment

Re: NUT ON OSX 10.5

Nathan Hjelm-2
<base href="x-msg://224/">I believe you need to to set IOProbeScore for the IOKit Personality. It should be a large number to overcome to score assigned to the default driver (100000 would probably work).

-Nathan

On Oct 1, 2010, at 10:14 AM, bluebird support wrote:

[...]

Libusb-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/libusb-devel