Quantcast

Find specific USB device based on udev info

Find specific USB device based on udev info

Michael Bauer
Hi there,

i think i am missing somethin obvious here, but i've looked into this topic for several days now without a solution. I hope you can give me some hint :-)

I want to make a tool which can be invoked by an udev rule to configure certain USB devices after they are plugged in. Problem is that i need to find the link between the information available through udev and the information availble from libusb to access the device through libusb.

This is what i get from udev:
E:DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.1/usb1/1-1/1-1.4/1-1.4.3/1-1.4.3:1.0/input/input7/event7
E: MAJOR=13
E: MINOR=71
E: DEVNAME=/dev/input/event7
E: SUBSYSTEM=input
E: ID_INPUT=1
E: ID_INPUT_JOYSTICK=1
E: ID_VENDOR=Logitech
E: ID_VENDOR_ENC=Logitech
E: ID_VENDOR_ID=046d
E: ID_MODEL=Logitech_Driving_Force
E: ID_MODEL_ENC=Logitech\x20Driving\x20Force
E: ID_MODEL_ID=c294
E: ID_REVISION=1106
E: ID_SERIAL=Logitech_Logitech_Driving_Force
E: ID_TYPE=hid
E: ID_BUS=usb
E: ID_USB_INTERFACES=:030000:
E: ID_USB_INTERFACE_NUM=00
E: ID_USB_DRIVER=usbhid
E: ID_PATH=pci-0000:00:02.1-usb-0:1.4.3:1.0
E: DEVLINKS=/dev/input/by-id/usb-Logitech_Logitech_Driving_Force-event-joystick /dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:02.1-usb-0:1.4.3:1.0-event-joystick /dev/input/DF

I want to also support multiple connected devices, so ideally i would do the following:
1. Pass the DEVPATH of the connected device into my tool
2. use libUSB to get access to the device based on the DEVPATH or DEVNAME (maybe double-check that the correct device is found by comparing VENDOR_ID and MODEL_ID)
3. do some stuff with device

Problem is: The DEVPATH/DEVNAME seems unavailable in libusb interface, so i did not find any way to make sure that i open the correct device. I only found "libusb_get_bus_number" and "libusb_get_device_address", but the information i get here is not matching anything i would get from udev...

So i am pretty  much stuck - Do you have any suggestion how i could do this?

Thank you :-)
Michael

Re: Find specific USB device based on udev info

Alan Stern
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011, Michael Bauer wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> i think i am missing somethin obvious here, but i've looked into this topic for several days now without a solution. I hope you can give me some hint :-)
>
> I want to make a tool which can be invoked by an udev rule to configure certain USB devices after they are plugged in. Problem is that i need to find the link between the information available through udev and the information availble from libusb to access the device through libusb.
>
> This is what i get from udev:
> E:DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.1/usb1/1-1/1-1.4/1-1.4.3/1-1.4.3:1.0/input/input7/event7

This devpath is the pointer to the input device, not the USB device.
The path you want is just:

        /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.1/usb1/1-1/1-1.4/1-1.4.3/

> E: MAJOR=13
> E: MINOR=71
> E: DEVNAME=/dev/input/event7
> E: SUBSYSTEM=input
> E: ID_INPUT=1
> E: ID_INPUT_JOYSTICK=1
> E: ID_VENDOR=Logitech
> E: ID_VENDOR_ENC=Logitech
> E: ID_VENDOR_ID=046d
> E: ID_MODEL=Logitech_Driving_Force
> E: ID_MODEL_ENC=Logitech\x20Driving\x20Force
> E: ID_MODEL_ID=c294
> E: ID_REVISION=1106
> E: ID_SERIAL=Logitech_Logitech_Driving_Force
> E: ID_TYPE=hid
> E: ID_BUS=usb
> E: ID_USB_INTERFACES=:030000:
> E: ID_USB_INTERFACE_NUM=00
> E: ID_USB_DRIVER=usbhid
> E: ID_PATH=pci-0000:00:02.1-usb-0:1.4.3:1.0
> E: DEVLINKS=/dev/input/by-id/usb-Logitech_Logitech_Driving_Force-event-joystick /dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:02.1-usb-0:1.4.3:1.0-event-joystick /dev/input/DF
>
> I want to also support multiple connected devices, so ideally i would do the following:
> 1. Pass the DEVPATH of the connected device into my tool
> 2. use libUSB to get access to the device based on the DEVPATH or DEVNAME (maybe double-check that the correct device is found by comparing VENDOR_ID and MODEL_ID)
> 3. do some stuff with device
>
> Problem is: The DEVPATH/DEVNAME seems unavailable in libusb interface, so i did not find any way to make sure that i open the correct device. I only found "libusb_get_bus_number" and "libusb_get_device_address", but the information i get here is not matching anything i would get from udev...
>
> So i am pretty  much stuck - Do you have any suggestion how i could do this?

If you look in the
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.1/usb1/1-1/1-1.4/1-1.4.3/ directory,
you'll find files named "busnum" and "devnum".  They contain the bus
number and device address values you can pass to libusb.

Alan Stern

Re: Find specific USB device based on udev info

Xiaofan Chen
On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Michael Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to also support multiple connected devices, so ideally i would do
>  the following:
> 1. Pass the DEVPATH of the connected device into my tool
> 2. use libUSB to get access to the device based on the DEVPATH or
> DEVNAME (maybe double-check that the correct device is found by
> comparing VENDOR_ID and MODEL_ID)
> 3. do some stuff with device
>
> Problem is: The DEVPATH/DEVNAME seems unavailable in libusb interface,
> so i did not find any way to make sure that i open the correct device. I only
> found "libusb_get_bus_number" and "libusb_get_device_address", but the
> information i get here is not matching anything i would get from udev...
>
> So i am pretty  much stuck - Do you have any suggestion how i could do this?

Hopefully Alan's answer is good for you. However, I am wondering why you
want to use the DEVPATH/DEVNAME to match the device. Why not use
VID/PID plus serial number or manufacturer string or things like that to
match the device? In that case, no udev rules are required.

--
Xiaofan

Alan Stern wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011, Michael Bauer wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> i think i am missing somethin obvious here, but i've looked into this topic for several days now without a solution. I hope you can give me some hint :-)
>>
>> I want to make a tool which can be invoked by an udev rule to configure certain USB devices after they are plugged in. Problem is that i need to find the link between the information available through udev and the information availble from libusb to access the device through libusb.
>>
>> This is what i get from udev:
>> E:DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.1/usb1/1-1/1-1.4/1-1.4.3/1-1.4.3:1.0/input/input7/event7
>
> This devpath is the pointer to the input device, not the USB device.
> The path you want is just:
>
> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.1/usb1/1-1/1-1.4/1-1.4.3/
>> So i am pretty  much stuck - Do you have any suggestion how i could do this?
>
> If you look in the
> /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.1/usb1/1-1/1-1.4/1-1.4.3/ directory,
> you'll find files named "busnum" and "devnum".  They contain the bus
> number and device address values you can pass to libusb.

Great, this is exactly what i was looking for. Already implemented and
working - Thanks for the quick reply :-)

Although i am not involved at all in libusb development - Might this be
a topic for future integration into libusb directly?
I think this is a common usecase - Find a specific device based on the
device address. Especially when you want to support multiple identical
devices. At least in my case the information available from udev is
exactly the same for any connected device, so the only possibility for
differentiation is the actual physical address...

Using the sysfs-based approach seems to be linux-only (fine for me at
the moment :-)) and involves some "ugly" string operations to get the
proper filename, open and read it.

Thank you again and best regards

Xiaofan Chen wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Michael Bauer<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I want to also support multiple connected devices, so ideally i would do
>>   the following:
>> 1. Pass the DEVPATH of the connected device into my tool
>> 2. use libUSB to get access to the device based on the DEVPATH or
>> DEVNAME (maybe double-check that the correct device is found by
>> comparing VENDOR_ID and MODEL_ID)
>> 3. do some stuff with device
>>
>> Problem is: The DEVPATH/DEVNAME seems unavailable in libusb interface,
>> so i did not find any way to make sure that i open the correct device. I only
>> found "libusb_get_bus_number" and "libusb_get_device_address", but the
>> information i get here is not matching anything i would get from udev...
>>
>> So i am pretty  much stuck - Do you have any suggestion how i could do this?
>
> Hopefully Alan's answer is good for you. However, I am wondering why you
> want to use the DEVPATH/DEVNAME to match the device. Why not use
> VID/PID plus serial number or manufacturer string or things like that to
> match the device? In that case, no udev rules are required.

In general I fully agree and would have done it like that, but the
problem is that i want to support multiple connected devices of the same
kind. And in this case the information available from udev is completely
identical. So i can only rely on the physical address...

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Michael Bauer wrote:

> Great, this is exactly what i was looking for. Already implemented and
> working - Thanks for the quick reply :-)
>
> Although i am not involved at all in libusb development - Might this be
> a topic for future integration into libusb directly?

This was discussed some time ago.  It was proposed that two new
routines be added to libusb:

        Given a device, return the bus number and sequence of ports
        numbers in the upstream hubs above the device.

        Given a bus number and a sequence of port numbers, return
        the device at that location.

So far not much has been written (I think part of this was implemented
in the Windows port of libusb).

Alan Stern

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Michael Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Xiaofan Chen wrote:
>> Hopefully Alan's answer is good for you. However, I am wondering why you
>> want to use the DEVPATH/DEVNAME to match the device. Why not use
>> VID/PID plus serial number or manufacturer string or things like that to
>> match the device? In that case, no udev rules are required.
>
> In general I fully agree and would have done it like that, but the problem
> is that i want to support multiple connected devices of the same kind. And
> in this case the information available from udev is completely identical. So
> i can only rely on the physical address...

I see. This topic has been discussed before but unfortunately I do not
know when the topology API can be added to libusb-1.0.
http://libusb.6.n5.nabble.com/equivalent-quot-DevicePath-quot-of-WinUSB-in-LibUSB-td2640222.html

--
Xiaofan

Re: Find specific USB device based on udev info

Pete Batard
On 2011.07.01 15:57, Alan Stern wrote:
> So far not much has been written (I think part of this was implemented
> in the Windows port of libusb).

The following have been in my branch for some time (libusb.h [1], line 890):

uint8_t LIBUSB_CALL libusb_get_port_number(libusb_device *dev);
libusb_device * LIBUSB_CALL libusb_get_parent(libusb_device *dev);
int LIBUSB_CALL libusb_get_port_path(libusb_context *ctx, libusb_device
*dev, uint8_t* path, uint8_t path_length);

Currently, these calls will return an error for OSX and Linux, but
should work on Windows. As a matter of fact, the xusb sample will
automatically display some topology information when ran on Windows. eg:

   bus: 7, port path from HCD: 4->4->1

If anybody wants to send a Linux or Mac implementation for the calls
above, I'd be happy to include it in my branch.

Regards,

/Pete

[1] http://git.libusb.org/?p=libusb-pbatard.git;a=blob;f=libusb/libusb.h

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Pete Batard wrote:

> On 2011.07.01 15:57, Alan Stern wrote:
> > So far not much has been written (I think part of this was implemented
> > in the Windows port of libusb).
>
> The following have been in my branch for some time (libusb.h [1], line 890):
>
> uint8_t LIBUSB_CALL libusb_get_port_number(libusb_device *dev);
> libusb_device * LIBUSB_CALL libusb_get_parent(libusb_device *dev);
> int LIBUSB_CALL libusb_get_port_path(libusb_context *ctx, libusb_device
> *dev, uint8_t* path, uint8_t path_length);
>
> Currently, these calls will return an error for OSX and Linux, but
> should work on Windows. As a matter of fact, the xusb sample will
> automatically display some topology information when ran on Windows. eg:
>
>    bus: 7, port path from HCD: 4->4->1
>
> If anybody wants to send a Linux or Mac implementation for the calls
> above, I'd be happy to include it in my branch.

Okay, I have an implementation for the Linux backend.  There's also a
fix for the xusb program.  Two patches follow.

Alan Stern

On 2011.07.06 19:59, Alan Stern wrote:
> Okay, I have an implementation for the Linux backend.  There's also a
> fix for the xusb program.  Two patches follow.

Thanks a lot for this! I'll be right on it.

Regards,

/Pete

Re: Find specific USB device based on udev info

Pete Batard
> On 2011.07.06 19:59, Alan Stern wrote:
>> Okay, I have an implementation for the Linux backend. There's also a
>> fix for the xusb program. Two patches follow.

Now added to pbr340, which also includes the Renesas root hub workaround
as well as other minor improvements.

I ran a quick test on Linux and the topology data looks good.

Regards,

/Pete

On 06.07.2011 20:59, Alan Stern wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Pete Batard wrote:
>
>> On 2011.07.01 15:57, Alan Stern wrote:
>>> So far not much has been written (I think part of this was implemented
>>> in the Windows port of libusb).
>>
>> The following have been in my branch for some time (libusb.h [1], line 890):
>>
>> uint8_t LIBUSB_CALL libusb_get_port_number(libusb_device *dev);
>> libusb_device * LIBUSB_CALL libusb_get_parent(libusb_device *dev);
>> int LIBUSB_CALL libusb_get_port_path(libusb_context *ctx, libusb_device
>> *dev, uint8_t* path, uint8_t path_length);
>>
>> Currently, these calls will return an error for OSX and Linux, but
>> should work on Windows. As a matter of fact, the xusb sample will
>> automatically display some topology information when ran on Windows. eg:
>>
>>     bus: 7, port path from HCD: 4->4->1
>>
>> If anybody wants to send a Linux or Mac implementation for the calls
>> above, I'd be happy to include it in my branch.
>
> Okay, I have an implementation for the Linux backend.  There's also a
> fix for the xusb program.  Two patches follow.

That is good news. Having this native in libusb will simplify my code *a
lot*. Looking forward for the first release including it :-)

Best regards
Michael

Re: Find specific USB device based on udev info

Pierre Zurek
Hi,

You could use $env{BUSNUM} and $env{DEVNUM} in your udev rule. There is also
$attr{busnum} and $attr{devnum}.

Pierre

Re: Find specific USB device based on udev info

Vitali Lovich-2
I have implementations of libusb_get_port_path in my branch, but the
API call has a slightly different signature - it returns the length of
the path so that you can figure out if you truncated (similar to
strncpy) & doesn't take a ctx.

-Vitali

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Pierre Zurek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You could use $env{BUSNUM} and $env{DEVNUM} in your udev rule. There is also
> $attr{busnum} and $attr{devnum}.
>
> Pierre

Re: Find specific USB device based on udev info

Hans Petter Selasky
On Tuesday 16 August 2011 21:04:08 Vitali Lovich wrote:
> I have implementations of libusb_get_port_path in my branch, but the
> API call has a slightly different signature - it returns the length of
> the path so that you can figure out if you truncated (similar to
> strncpy) & doesn't take a ctx.

Hi,

Isn't it enough to know the parent HUB port and address?

I've implemented something like this for the FreeBSD specific LibUSB:

     uint8_t
     libusb20_dev_get_parent_address(struct libusb20_device *pdev);

     uint8_t
     libusb20_dev_get_parent_port(struct libusb20_device *pdev);

--HPS

Re: Find specific USB device based on udev info

Pete Batard-2
On 2011.08.17 07:16, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> Isn't it enough to know the parent HUB port and address?

We've had some discussion about that in January. If you have time to
waste, you can read the initial post and the rest of the thread from [1].

Regards,

/Pete

[1] http://marc.info/?l=libusb-devel&m=129553692610075&w=2

On Wednesday 17 August 2011 12:06:08 Pete Batard wrote:
> On 2011.08.17 07:16, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> > Isn't it enough to know the parent HUB port and address?
>
> We've had some discussion about that in January. If you have time to
> waste, you can read the initial post and the rest of the thread from [1].

Hi,

Thank you for the link. Sorry for maybe asking a dumb question, but are the
new USB location API's present in the official libusb git yet?

--HPS

On 2011.08.17 11:18, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> Sorry for maybe asking a dumb question, but are the
> new USB location API's present in the official libusb git yet?

Alan was kind enough to provide an implementation for Linux, which I
added to my non-official tree [1]. We're still waiting for an OSX patch
and, considering the release problems plus the fact that these are still
experimental (though very much requested), it has made little sense to
submit them for official integration so far. Thus, they are neither in
official nor -stuge.

Regards,

/Pete

[1]