Quantcast

FYI: MinGW support of Win2k is also questionable

FYI: MinGW support of Win2k is also questionable

Xiaofan Chen
FYI.

Re: FYI: MinGW support of Win2k is also questionable

Xiaofan Chen
On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Xiaofan Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> From: Earnie <[hidden email]>
> Questionable is because no MinGW developer is using anything less than
> XP that I am aware of.  We try to support any MSDN documented API, so if
> it is documented to the point we can create the necessary declarations
> and import definitions then we support it.  We do not go rummaging
> through the MSDN ourselves but wait until someone needs a missing API to
> add to the MinGW API.

The reason I forward this is to show a few points.

1) Win2k is fading, do we really need Win2k support?
2) If Win2k support is really needed, it seems MSVC 6 and WDK 6001
are the only two ways to produce a libusb binary with Win2k support.
MinGW and MinGW-w64 seem to require XP.

For the libusb-win32 project, we use WDK 6001 to produce the
official binaries to gain Win2k support. MinGW is used to produce
the dynamic import library only. But Win2k support might be dropped
in the future -- I do not have Win2k for testing myself.

For the current libusb-1.0 Windows backend, since WinUSB is
not supported by Win2k (and XP64 and Windows 2003), so this
is not a real problem.

--
Xiaofan

Re: FYI: MinGW support of Win2k is also questionable

Graeme Gill
Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> For the current libusb-1.0 Windows backend, since WinUSB is
> not supported by Win2k (and XP64 and Windows 2003), so this
> is not a real problem.

It is supported in my code using libusb0.sys.
Win2K is one of my test platforms. Yes I won't
support it forever.

Graeme Gill.