Quantcast

External HD stops responding

Greg Heimlicha
Hi folks,

recently I bought an Owon scope which uses LibUsb-Win32 v1.2.1.0 for
PC-communication. Data transfer works perfectly fine, but as soon as the
DSO is connected to the computer my external HD stops responding.

The "Power"-field shown by USBDeview.exe switches from 2 mA to 0 mA, so
I think that there is a problem with power managemant during
initialisation.

Computer: IBM T42 (2373-tg5) running Windows XP/SP3
Driver: usbd.sys (5.1.2600.0), usbhub.sys (5.1.2600.5512),
        USBSTOR.SYS (5.1.2600.5512)
HD-Enclosure: Fujitsu/Siemens 35EV830/2T containing a JM20336
              USB2SATA-Bridge (VID:152d, PID:2336).

a) Update to V1.2.6.0 using inf-wizard.exe -> same behaviour
   (Clean installation by removing all things related to libusb and
   OEMxx.* using devmgr/regedit and verified with USBDeview previously)

b) Install a filter driver -> unchanged

c) Using another HD-Enclosure with VID:174c,PID:55aa -> unchanged

d) Disable "power saving" in corresponding root hub -> unchanged

e) Physically reconnecting HD while DSO is active -> unknown device
   USB\Vid_0000&Pid_0000\5&85ede88&0&1

f) Using libusb instead of USBSTOR.SYS -> Power sticks at 0 mA, even
   after reboot and without connecting the DSO.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Greg

btw:
Device Manager doesn't display libusb0.dll and libusb0.sys as being
certified - neither by installing with inf-wizard.exe nor using
manual driver installation, and even if I'd imported the valid
Certificate using the file properties dialog before or after setup.
But probably this is inherited from the unsigned Oscillope.inf.

Re: External HD stops responding

Xiaofan Chen
On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Greg Heimlicha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> recently I bought an Owon scope which uses LibUsb-Win32 v1.2.1.0 for
> PC-communication. Data transfer works perfectly fine, but as soon as the
> DSO is connected to the computer my external HD stops responding.
>
> The "Power"-field shown by USBDeview.exe switches from 2 mA to 0 mA, so
> I think that there is a problem with power managemant during
> initialisation.
>
> Computer: IBM T42 (2373-tg5) running Windows XP/SP3
> Driver: usbd.sys (5.1.2600.0), usbhub.sys (5.1.2600.5512),
>         USBSTOR.SYS (5.1.2600.5512)
> HD-Enclosure: Fujitsu/Siemens 35EV830/2T containing a JM20336
>               USB2SATA-Bridge (VID:152d, PID:2336).
>
> a) Update to V1.2.6.0 using inf-wizard.exe -> same behaviour
>    (Clean installation by removing all things related to libusb and
>    OEMxx.* using devmgr/regedit and verified with USBDeview previously)
>
> b) Install a filter driver -> unchanged
>
> c) Using another HD-Enclosure with VID:174c,PID:55aa -> unchanged
>
> d) Disable "power saving" in corresponding root hub -> unchanged
>
> e) Physically reconnecting HD while DSO is active -> unknown device
>    USB\Vid_0000&Pid_0000\5&85ede88&0&1
>
> f) Using libusb instead of USBSTOR.SYS -> Power sticks at 0 mA, even
>    after reboot and without connecting the DSO.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Regards,
> Greg

It seems to me this has nothing to do with libusb-win32 but rather
your host PC USB Ports current driving capability and the current
consumption of your DSO and external USB HDD.

You can try to use a powered USB hub to drive either the DSO or
the USB HDD to see if that solves the problem.

> btw:
> Device Manager doesn't display libusb0.dll and libusb0.sys as being
> certified - neither by installing with inf-wizard.exe nor using
> manual driver installation, and even if I'd imported the valid
> Certificate using the file properties dialog before or after setup.
> But probably this is inherited from the unsigned Oscillope.inf.

That is correct.

--
Xiaofan

Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> It seems to me this has nothing to do with libusb-win32 but rather
> your host PC USB Ports current driving capability and the current
> consumption of your DSO and external USB HDD.
>
> You can try to use a powered USB hub to drive either the DSO or
> the USB HDD to see if that solves the problem.

Hmm, the HD has an external power supply and requests 2 mA out of 500.
The the scope has an internal mains supply circiut too, but seems to
lack a correct power requirement announcement. At least I can't see it
with USBDeview.
You notice, I'm not to deep into this whole USB thing.

Anyway, I'll try to use an USB hub as soon as I can dig one, and let
you know about the results.

Many thanks,
Greg

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Greg Heimlicha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Xiaofan Chen wrote:
>> It seems to me this has nothing to do with libusb-win32 but rather
>> your host PC USB Ports current driving capability and the current
>> consumption of your DSO and external USB HDD.
>>
>> You can try to use a powered USB hub to drive either the DSO or
>> the USB HDD to see if that solves the problem.
>
> Hmm, the HD has an external power supply and requests 2 mA out of 500.

I see. Then probably it is not the culprit here.

> The the scope has an internal mains supply circiut too, but seems to
> lack a correct power requirement announcement. At least I can't see it
> with USBDeview.
> You notice, I'm not to deep into this whole USB thing.
>
> Anyway, I'll try to use an USB hub as soon as I can dig one, and let
> you know about the results.

The DSO may be the culprit here. Is it bus powered? Even though
it has a power supply, the USB part may still be bus powered.

You can try to use a external hub with the DSO first to see if
that helps if you do not have a powered external USB hub
right now. But a powered external USB hub may be the
real solution.

--
Xiaofan

Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> You can try to use a external hub with the DSO first to see if
> that helps if you do not have a powered external USB hub
> right now. But a powered external USB hub may be the
> real solution.

I didn't found any usefull device in my basement, therefore I have to
order a powered hub. Not even a Y-Cable usually used for high-power
drives pops up. So I've soldered one with additional power drawn from
the PS2 keyboard connector.

Then I tried to interchange the USB connectors available.

T42               USBDeview
Docking station = (no info)  = HD (2->0 mA, USB 2.0)
Upper connector = Hub3/Port4 = DSO (no info about current or version)
Lower connector = Hub1/Port1 = HID USB to RS232 (USB 1.0, 100 mA)
                               This DMM was not connected previously
T42               USBDeview
Docking station = (no info)  = HD (2->0 mA, USB 2.0)
Upper connector = Hub1/Port2 = HID USB to RS232 (USB 1.0, 100 mA)
Lower connector = Hub3/Port3 = DSO (no info about current or version)

T42               USBDeview
Docking station = Hub1/Port1 = HID USB to RS232 (USB 1.0, 100 mA)
Upper connector = Hub0/Port4 = DSO (no info about current or version)
Lower connector = (no info)  = HD (USB 2.0, 2 mA)

Device Manager - USB Root Hub Properties - Power:

USB\ROOT_HUB\4&17611003&0   2 ports available -   0 mA

USB\ROOT_HUB\4&28CCEDB4&0   2 ports available -   0 mA

USB\ROOT_HUB\4&30397EF5&0   HID device        - 100 mA
                            1 ports available -   0 mA

USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&1CDC4E97&0 USB Mass storage  -   2 mA
                            Oscillope         -  50 mA
                            4 ports available -   0 mA

The binding of the HID device may vary according to the choosen
connector, but ROOT_HUB20 remain the same after each test.

All hubs show the info fields as
"The hub is self-powered"
"Total power available: 500 mA per port"

It seems like the T42 have four independent self-powered hubs
(three for USB 1.0 and one for USB 2.0) and each one should be able to
provide the maximum current of 500 mA to each device connected.

Thus, I'm not shure if a powered hub would really solve my problem and
now I'm back to my primary guess that there is an incompatibility
with the drivers used. For instance, why USBDeview doesn't show some
fields?

What's your opinion?

Regards,
Greg

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Greg Heimlicha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Xiaofan Chen wrote:
>> You can try to use a external hub with the DSO first to see if
>> that helps if you do not have a powered external USB hub
>> right now. But a powered external USB hub may be the
>> real solution.
>
> I didn't found any usefull device in my basement, therefore I have to
> order a powered hub. Not even a Y-Cable usually used for high-power
> drives pops up. So I've soldered one with additional power drawn from
> the PS2 keyboard connector.
>
> Then I tried to interchange the USB connectors available.
>
> T42               USBDeview
> Docking station = (no info)  = HD (2->0 mA, USB 2.0)
> Upper connector = Hub3/Port4 = DSO (no info about current or version)
> Lower connector = Hub1/Port1 = HID USB to RS232 (USB 1.0, 100 mA)
>                                This DMM was not connected previously
> T42               USBDeview
> Docking station = (no info)  = HD (2->0 mA, USB 2.0)
> Upper connector = Hub1/Port2 = HID USB to RS232 (USB 1.0, 100 mA)
> Lower connector = Hub3/Port3 = DSO (no info about current or version)
>
> T42               USBDeview
> Docking station = Hub1/Port1 = HID USB to RS232 (USB 1.0, 100 mA)
> Upper connector = Hub0/Port4 = DSO (no info about current or version)
> Lower connector = (no info)  = HD (USB 2.0, 2 mA)
>
> Device Manager - USB Root Hub Properties - Power:
>
> USB\ROOT_HUB\4&17611003&0   2 ports available -   0 mA
>
> USB\ROOT_HUB\4&28CCEDB4&0   2 ports available -   0 mA
>
> USB\ROOT_HUB\4&30397EF5&0   HID device        - 100 mA
>                             1 ports available -   0 mA
>
> USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&1CDC4E97&0 USB Mass storage  -   2 mA
>                             Oscillope         -  50 mA
>                             4 ports available -   0 mA
>
> The binding of the HID device may vary according to the choosen
> connector, but ROOT_HUB20 remain the same after each test.
>
> All hubs show the info fields as
> "The hub is self-powered"
> "Total power available: 500 mA per port"
>
> It seems like the T42 have four independent self-powered hubs
> (three for USB 1.0 and one for USB 2.0) and each one should be able to
> provide the maximum current of 500 mA to each device connected.
>
> Thus, I'm not shure if a powered hub would really solve my problem and
> now I'm back to my primary guess that there is an incompatibility
> with the drivers used. For instance, why USBDeview doesn't show some
> fields?
>
> What's your opinion?

I do not think it is because of the driver. Why USBDeview
does not show the fields may be because the device does
not report the correct value.

Could you post the device descriptor? You can use
testlibusb-win from libusb-win32 or better use klist
from libusbK.

But you can try the WinUSB driver as well to see if that helps.
You can use Zadig or libusbK driver installer.

--
Xiaofan

Xiaofan Chen wrote:

>> What's your opinion?
>
> I do not think it is because of the driver. Why USBDeview
> does not show the fields may be because the device does
> not report the correct value.
>
> Could you post the device descriptor? You can use
> testlibusb-win from libusb-win32 or better use klist
> from libusbK.
>
> But you can try the WinUSB driver as well to see if that helps.
> You can use Zadig or libusbK driver installer.

I've installed a filter driver for the HD. After an automatically
triggered reconnect the disc works properly. Although this leads to a
dual connction process - first is the regular connection followed by an
additional disconnect/reconnect a few seconds later.

Its device descriptor as reported by testlibusb-win.exe:
DLL version: 1.2.6.0
Driver version: 1.2.6.0

bus/device  idVendor/idProduct
bus-0/\\.\libusb0-0001--0x152d-0x2336     152D/2336
- Manufacturer : JMicron
- Product      : JM20336 SATA, USB Combo
- Serial Number: 1121A3888888
bLength:             18
bDescriptorType:     01h
bcdUSB:              0200h
bDeviceClass:        00h
bDeviceSubClass:     00h
bDeviceProtocol:     00h
bMaxPacketSize0:     40h
idVendor:            152Dh
idProduct:           2336h
bcdDevice:           0100h
iManufacturer:       1
iProduct:            2
iSerialNumber:       5
bNumConfigurations:  1
  wTotalLength:         32
  bNumInterfaces:       1
  bConfigurationValue:  1
  iConfiguration:       4
  bmAttributes:         c0h
  MaxPower:             1
    bInterfaceNumber:   0
    bAlternateSetting:  0
    bNumEndpoints:      2
    bInterfaceClass:    8
    bInterfaceSubClass: 6
    bInterfaceProtocol: 80
    iInterface:         6
      bEndpointAddress: 81h
      bmAttributes:     02h
      wMaxPacketSize:   512
      bInterval:        0
      bRefresh:         0
      bSynchAddress:    0
      bEndpointAddress: 02h
      bmAttributes:     02h
      wMaxPacketSize:   512
      bInterval:        0
      bRefresh:         0
      bSynchAddress:    0

Disconnecting the HD and connecting the DSO:
DLL version: 1.2.6.0
Driver version: 1.2.6.0

bus/device  idVendor/idProduct
bus-0/\\.\libusb0-0001--0x5345-0x1234     5345/1234
- Manufacturer : System MCU
- Product      : Oscillope
- Serial Number: SDS7102
bLength:             18
bDescriptorType:     01h
bcdUSB:              0200h
bDeviceClass:        00h
bDeviceSubClass:     00h
bDeviceProtocol:     00h
bMaxPacketSize0:     40h
idVendor:            5345h
idProduct:           1234h
bcdDevice:           0100h
iManufacturer:       1
iProduct:            2
iSerialNumber:       3
bNumConfigurations:  1
  wTotalLength:         32
  bNumInterfaces:       1
  bConfigurationValue:  1
  iConfiguration:       0
  bmAttributes:         c0h
  MaxPower:             25
    bInterfaceNumber:   0
    bAlternateSetting:  0
    bNumEndpoints:      2
    bInterfaceClass:    5
    bInterfaceSubClass: 6
    bInterfaceProtocol: 80
    iInterface:         0
      bEndpointAddress: 81h
      bmAttributes:     02h
      wMaxPacketSize:   512
      bInterval:        0
      bRefresh:         0
      bSynchAddress:    0
      bEndpointAddress: 03h
      bmAttributes:     02h
      wMaxPacketSize:   512
      bInterval:        0
      bRefresh:         0
      bSynchAddress:    0

When connecting the HD first and afterward the DSO the HD swiches
to 0 mA and simply disapears from testlibusb listing.

Please be patient until I figured out how to use klist/WinUSB.

Regards,
Greg

Re: External HD stops responding

Greg Heimlicha
After installing libusbK-3.0.5.16-setup.exe I created three legacy inf
packages using libusbK-inf-wizard.exe whilst solely connected to the
DSO. To activate a package I've used the devmgr with a
deinstall-reboot-install sequence. Further test without rebooting.

                     WinUSB.sys      libusbK.sys      libusb0.sys
Connect HD              OK               OK               OK
Connect DSO           2->0 mA          2->0 mA          2->0 mA
Reconnect HD        unknown dev      unknown dev      unknown dev
Disconnect DSO/
Reconnect HD            OK               OK               OK
Install filter        2->0 mA          2->0 mA        2->0->2 mA
Reconnect HD          0->2 mA          0->2 mA           n/a
                    Error loading    Error loading
                     USBSTOR.SYS      USBSTOR.SYS
Remove filter           OK               OK              n/a

Now I'm doomed, right?

I think it's not worth to spend much more time on this issue.

Perhaps there comes a moment of enlightenment, but for now, I just
shrug and go ahead with my programming using libusb0.dll API thus
accepting, not being able to use HD and DSO simultaneously.

Thank you very much for your kind assistance.

Greg

p.s.: kList output for the different setups
      for all other combinations "No devices found."

HD using libusb0.sys and filter ========================================
 1. USB Mass Storage Device (Compatible USB storage device) [Connected]
    Service              : USBSTOR
    ClassGUID            : {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
    DeviceID             : USB\VID_152D&PID_2336\1121A3888888
    DeviceInterfaceGUID  : {F9F3FF14-AE21-48A0-8A25-8011A7A931D9}
    SymbolicLink         : \\?\usb#vid_152d&pid_2336#1121a3888888#{f9f3f
                           f14-ae21-48a0-8a25-8011a7a931d9}
    DevicePath           : \\.\libusb0-0001
    SerialNumber         : 1121A3888888
    BusNumber            : 0
    DeviceAddress        : 1
-Device:
  bLength             :18
  bDescriptorType     :0x01
  bcdUSB              :0x0200
  bDeviceClass        :0x00 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass     :0x00
  bDeviceProtocol     :0x00
  bMaxPacketSize0     :64
  idVendor            :0x152D (JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Te
                       chnology Corp.)
  idProduct           :0x2336 (Hard Disk Drive)
  bcdDevice           :0x0100
  iManufacturer       :1 (JMicron)
  iProduct            :2 (JM20336 SATA, USB Combo)
  iSerialNumber       :5 (1121A3888888)
  bNumConfigurations  :1
!End Device
-Configuration:
  bLength             :9
  bDescriptorType     :0x02
  wTotalLength        :32
  bNumInterfaces      :1
  bConfigurationValue :0x01
  iConfiguration      :4 (USB Mass Storage)
  bmAttributes        :0xC0
  MaxPower            :1 (2ma)
 -Interface:
    bLength             :9
    bDescriptorType     :0x04
    bInterfaceNumber    :0x00
    bAlternateSetting   :0x00
    bNumEndpoints       :2
    bInterfaceClass     :0x08 (Mass Storage)
    bInterfaceSubClass  :0x06 (SCSI)
    bInterfaceProtocol  :0x50 (Bulk (Zip)
    iInterface          :6 (Bulk-In, Bulk-Out Interface)
   -Endpoint:
      bLength             :7
      bDescriptorType     :0x05
      bEndpointAddress    :0x81
      bmAttributes        :0x02 (Bulk)
      wMaxPacketSize      :512
      bInterval           :0x00
   !End Endpoint
   -Endpoint:
      bLength             :7
      bDescriptorType     :0x05
      bEndpointAddress    :0x02
      bmAttributes        :0x02 (Bulk)
      wMaxPacketSize      :512
      bInterval           :0x00
   !End Endpoint
 !End Interface
!End Configuration

DSO using libusbK.sys ==================================================
 1. Oscillope (Owon) [Connected]
    Service              : libusbK
    ClassGUID            : {ECFB0CFD-74C4-4F52-BBF7-343461CD72AC}
    DeviceID             : USB\VID_5345&PID_1234\5&85EDE88&0&4
    DeviceInterfaceGUID  : {5DC6046D-61B0-0B7E-6A2A-7E369FA30DE2}
    SymbolicLink         : \\?\usb#vid_5345&pid_1234#5&85ede88&0&4#{5dc6
                           046d-61b0-0b7e-6a2a-7e369fa30de2}
    DevicePath           : \\?\usb#vid_5345&pid_1234#5&85ede88&0&4#{5dc6
                           046d-61b0-0b7e-6a2a-7e369fa30de2}
    SerialNumber         : 5&85EDE88&0&4
    BusNumber            : 0
    DeviceAddress        : 4
-Device:
  bLength             :18
  bDescriptorType     :0x01
  bcdUSB              :0x0200
  bDeviceClass        :0x00 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass     :0x00
  bDeviceProtocol     :0x00
  bMaxPacketSize0     :64
  idVendor            :0x5345 (Owon)
  idProduct           :0x1234 (PDS6062T Oscilloscope)
  bcdDevice           :0x0100
  iManufacturer       :1 (System MCU)
  iProduct            :2 (Oscillope)
  iSerialNumber       :3 (SDS7102)
  bNumConfigurations  :1
!End Device
-Configuration:
  bLength             :9
  bDescriptorType     :0x02
  wTotalLength        :32
  bNumInterfaces      :1
  bConfigurationValue :0x01
  iConfiguration      :0
  bmAttributes        :0xC0
  MaxPower            :25 (50ma)
 -Interface:
    bLength             :9
    bDescriptorType     :0x04
    bInterfaceNumber    :0x00
    bAlternateSetting   :0x00
    bNumEndpoints       :2
    bInterfaceClass     :0x05 (Physical Interface Device)
    bInterfaceSubClass  :0x06
    bInterfaceProtocol  :0x50
    iInterface          :0
   -Endpoint:
      bLength             :7
      bDescriptorType     :0x05
      bEndpointAddress    :0x81
      bmAttributes        :0x02 (Bulk)
      wMaxPacketSize      :512
      bInterval           :0x00
   !End Endpoint
   -Endpoint:
      bLength             :7
      bDescriptorType     :0x05
      bEndpointAddress    :0x03
      bmAttributes        :0x02 (Bulk)
      wMaxPacketSize      :512
      bInterval           :0x00
   !End Endpoint
 !End Interface
!End Configuration

DSO using WinUSB.sys ===================================================
 1. Oscillope (Owon) [Connected]
    Service              : WinUSB
    ClassGUID            : {88BAE032-5A81-49F0-BC3D-A4FF138216D6}
    DeviceID             : USB\VID_5345&PID_1234\5&85EDE88&0&4
    DeviceInterfaceGUID  : {A474DE74-89EA-5F8A-039B-76718EFB968D}
    SymbolicLink         : \\?\usb#vid_5345&pid_1234#5&85ede88&0&4#{a474
                           de74-89ea-5f8a-039b-76718efb968d}
    DevicePath           : \\?\usb#vid_5345&pid_1234#5&85ede88&0&4#{a474

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Greg Heimlicha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After installing libusbK-3.0.5.16-setup.exe I created three legacy inf
> packages using libusbK-inf-wizard.exe whilst solely connected to the
> DSO. To activate a package I've used the devmgr with a
> deinstall-reboot-install sequence. Further test without rebooting.
>
>                      WinUSB.sys      libusbK.sys      libusb0.sys
> Connect HD              OK               OK               OK
> Connect DSO           2->0 mA          2->0 mA          2->0 mA
> Reconnect HD        unknown dev      unknown dev      unknown dev
> Disconnect DSO/
> Reconnect HD            OK               OK               OK
> Install filter        2->0 mA          2->0 mA        2->0->2 mA
> Reconnect HD          0->2 mA          0->2 mA           n/a
>                     Error loading    Error loading
>                      USBSTOR.SYS      USBSTOR.SYS
> Remove filter           OK               OK              n/a
>
> Now I'm doomed, right?

This just proves that the driver is not the issue.

> I think it's not worth to spend much more time on this issue.
>
> Perhaps there comes a moment of enlightenment, but for now, I just
> shrug and go ahead with my programming using libusb0.dll API thus
> accepting, not being able to use HD and DSO simultaneously.

Yes this is a good workaround for now.

If you can find an external hub, you can try to connect the
DSO to it to see if that helps.

I will also suggest you try a different PC to see if that
works.

> Thank you very much for your kind assistance.

You are welcome.

--
Xiaofan